Featured Post

NaNoWriMo: What is it?

Put the ice queens, princesses, witches, monsters, pirates, Doctors, and whatever other costume the kids wore away.  Halloween is almost ove...

Sunday, April 17, 2016

April 2016 Poetry A Day: Week 3/5

On Monday, a very wet Monday, though with it being spring I really should not be surprised, we entered the second trimester of this poem a day challenge.  Thankfully it was another prompt that leads to a large array of choices.  2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 11 gave us the prompt for a defensive poem.  It took me a lot of thought to put this one together.


Wanting to do more
Expecting to do more
Strategies in place
To hinder every step forward

Things change 
people move around
Accusations are made
Offense is the best Defense

With an old episode of Biggest Loser playing in the background, I finally managed to put some semblance of a poem together.

Once again Tuesday was a double prompt day.  2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 12 gave us the choice of either writing a serious poem or silly poem.  Of course a person can always choose to write two poems, one for each prompt.  This could be a bit of extra work or they could be combined like I did last week into one poem.  Here's my attempt for this particular challenge.

SERIOUS VS. SILLY

Sullen
Enamored with silence
Remaining unhumored
Intrigued to solve the mysteries
Only to be disappointed 
Until deciding to become
Something other than serious

Standing in circles
Intriguing moments of
Laughter and
Love
Yearning for continuous joy

Surprisingly, I knew the title before I even thought of what type of poem or how it would be worded.

Wednesday we were given another _______ poem.  This time it was "Last _________" for 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 13.  After recently hearing Shinedown's Second Chance, the only thing I could think of was "Last Chance"  which then made me think of a line from a different song, "this is the last night that you'll feel like this".  I can't remember the title or artist though...

LAST ATTEMPT

There comes a time
In every life
Where the liver decides
It's time to end

It could be their life
But more often than not 
it's just some thing
they've been trying for a while

they've approached it in various ways
Head-on, backwards, sideways
They've gotten tired of trying 
They've decided on their last attempt

They'll start something new
After this attempt
For now they feel
They're beating on a dead horse



Thursday was 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 14.  We were challenged to write a "time-out" poem and I had to take a "time-out" from poeming thanks to real life(RL) obligations.  So, now as I'm going back to finish out the week's poems, I find it slightly ironic.  But anyway, here goes:

TIME-OUT

I need a break
from deadlines and try-outs
from work and even fun

Yes, I need a time-out
before the stress buries me
and I somehow destroy my own world


Friday marked the halfway point in this challenge and with real life having forced a break, I wasn't sure what to expect.  So, when I looked over 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 15, I was pleasantly surprised.  We were given a list of eight words and challenged to use at least four.  Can you locate mine?

THE TARRASQUE TOOTH TRACKED

Challenged on a quest
I daren't blacklist
the king who made
such a lavish request

He dared us five to journey
in a vessel of rare design 
to lands unknown in search
for not some gaudy ring

Nor was it plans 
upon paper of poor design
It took us across many lands
both hilly and flat

No, this particular quest
took us to the den
of the very rare tarrasque
in search of a single solitary tooth!

Well, it's pretty simple to spot them, I think.

Yesterday's prompt was great for foodie poets.  2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 16 basically told us to go out and eat.  We were tempted to, that's for certain!  It was to write a poem either about or in a food establishment, though I think the main point is to write one about a food establishment.

Journeying out
for late night munchies
Nothing too it
or so we thought

It turned from a quick trip
to a complete sojourn
as we quickly realized
we were late to our favorite haunts

So we googled and gps-ed
our way to a late night meal
finally settling
at a nearby Jack-In-The-Box

I thought I did fairly well.  Don't have a title, though.  Any ideas?

Apparently today is National Haiku Day(I really need to start up a blog about the daily holidays...Or someone should, anyway!)  In honor of it, 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 17 challenges us to write a haiku.  We can also choose to right a poem about haiku's, but I do enjoy writing in this particular format.   I know I wrote one in Future of April 2016, but I don't like repeating efforts if I can avoid it, so here's my latest haiku.


HAIKU

take a five word start
seven syllable center
and five sound ending

Turns out, I decided a haiku about haikus was in order!  Hope you enjoyed this week's attempts.  As always, make title suggestions in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment