Featured Post

NaNoWriMo: What is it?

Put the ice queens, princesses, witches, monsters, pirates, Doctors, and whatever other costume the kids wore away.  Halloween is almost ove...

Monday, June 10, 2019

Father's Day 2019

In a week it will be Father's Day.  I think for all of us who haven't had a steady fatherly presence it's a rather annoying thing, but then so is Mother's Day for those who never had a steady maternal presence.  I know that there are bad dads and great ones, good ones and horrible ones.  It's the ones that are unable to be there for their kids that I feel for.  It's the kids who aren't aware of what a parent's support or disdain can mean for them that have it worse in my opinion than even those who have absolutely horrible parents.  It's not that I'm trying to demean those who wish to celebrate for their parents, but rather that some of us never celebrated it, don't have kids to celebrate with and yet are expected to with our significant others.

Celebrating our fathers isn't as easy for most unlike celebrating their mothers.  My husband's family tends to go out to eat or grill at home.  Shopping for fathers may seem straightforward, but it isn't.  We see ads for grilling items and tools being on sale for Father's Day.  Not all fathers are going to want things to grill with or new tools.  I know there are some who would prefer the entire series of an older television series (MASH and JAG are a couple of examples) or a movie they don't own.  They wouldn't mind being taken out to eat instead of grilling their own meal, but I didn't grow up with my father handily available or my dad.  I always hated hearing about father's day activities or gifts (and still do) because I don't have my own father to celebrate with.  For those that do, enjoy it while you can.



*Note this was supposed to be posted yesterday.  I could have sworn I even had it scheduled, but when I went to start on next week's post, it hadn't yet.  Thankfully, it's only a day late!

No comments:

Post a Comment