Featured Post

NaNoWriMo: What is it?

Put the ice queens, princesses, witches, monsters, pirates, Doctors, and whatever other costume the kids wore away.  Halloween is almost ove...

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Cookbooks: Microwave Cooking, Week 1

So in 2016: It's A New Year!, I mentioned doing a weekly synopsis to help me go through a number of cookbooks to try and cut back the number of them that we have.  I randomly chose a cookbookfrom our large stash.  It's Betty Crocker's Microwave Cooking.  The version I have was printed in it's format in 1986.

The first two recipes I tried out of it were Hamburger Patties on page 10 and Broccoli Italiano on page 50.  The hamburger patties were actually really good.  I did forget the prepared horseradish and brushed homemade ketchup over the top.  Disappointingly, we didn't have buns to put them on, and using regular sandwich bread just wouldn't cut it.  I, however was not a huge fan of the broccoli.  They were easy to make though.  If I had tried a bit better to time it right, I probably wouldn't have had as many frustrations, even if I had read both recipes a few times before starting.

The only real hiccup I ran into was not having ketchup and not wanting to go out to buy it, so my husband found a recipe online and we made our own using vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, and tomato paste.  The ketchup turned out really well.

When it comes to the broccoli italiano, I personally felt that it had too much breadcrumbs used rather than a flavorful mix of crumbs and parmesan cheese topping broccoli.  Perhaps it's just the grittiness that I had an issue with.

These were the only recipes I managed to try out of the cookbook, and it was an easy start.  Would I try to make them again?  We both enjoyed the hamburger patties, and yes, I plan to make them again.  Maybe this time I won't forget the horseradish.  If I choose to ever try the broccoli dish again, I hope to alter it so the breadcrumb topping isn't quite as disappointing.  The broccoli was good, however so there were redeeming qualities to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment