Featured Post

NaNoWriMo: What is it?

Put the ice queens, princesses, witches, monsters, pirates, Doctors, and whatever other costume the kids wore away.  Halloween is almost ove...

Sunday, May 1, 2016

April 2016 Poetry A Day: Week 5/5

It's the final week of the Poetry A Day Challenge!  My thoughts on the challenge will be given after this weeks prompts.  Speaking of prompts, 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 25 prompted for us to write a poem about exercise.  My first thought was the emphasis on health and exercising for that, but there are so many types of exercise, that suddenly I was trying to figure out which type I wanted to write about.

EXERCISE

enveloping so much
from drills to runs to writing
each has its own type

The military uses exercise
to help get the recruits in shape
Known as drills or just trying to be killed

There are writing exercises
like following prompts
or mapping out a story

Exercising rights
is another concept
that has come under fire

Of course, Tuesday is double-prompt day.  This time we received the prompt to write a love or anti-love poem.  I had to double check, and yes, it's 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 26.  If you remember in my Future of April 2016 post, we did a similar one as a warm-up for the PAD challenge.

Against most anything
Not caring for emotion
Telling themselves it's not real
Intelligence is more than heart

Loyalty reigns supreme
Ongoing even when their being a bastard
Veering thanks to their heart
Ever willing for some emotion.

I know it's a bit of a strange acrostic poem, but it works for me.  I'm just not sure on how to title it.

So the 27th was Administrative Assistant Day.  I think this was a more PC (politically correct) term for National Secretary's Day, but I'm just as likely wrong.  So for all the administrative assistants out there, thank you for the jobs that you do.  The prompt for the day was not exactly based around it being Administrative Assistants Day.  No, the prompt for 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 27 was to write a take off poem.

TAKE OFF

I wished to live off grid
to be as independent as I could
Life just wasn't willing
and Fate agreed with her

I tried to distance myself
to cut off ties of old
but Life just wasn't willing
and Fate agreed with her

So I let them carry me
with Destiny's aid
to where they wished me to be
and not where I truly yearned

For I wished to take off
disappear in the distance
Fate and Life and Destiny
they had different plans

They chose to inundate me
with friends and family
who could freely leave
while I stayed stationary

I think he really likes those poems where there's a blank for a person to finish the title because the prompt for 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 28 was "Important ___________".  So here's my attempt at it.

IMPORTANT DECISIONS

there comes a time
in every life
when a decision
must be made

it may be big
it may be small
but to be made
must be done.

They are important
no matter the size
decisions to be made
in every life

Two more days, two more poems.  I don't know why, but it's a bit bittersweet.  Will I keep writing poems after this?  Sure, but only as the muse strikes me.  I'm very much a spontaneous writer.  I tend to be a pantser in NaNoWriMo events.  That's why the prompt for 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 29 made me smile.  The prompt was to write a haphazard poem.

HAPHAZARD WRITING

For most
planning takes precedence
For me however
it's just too much

Too take things away
and when i wish
this is my plan
for every event

i write as i wish
i play, eat or work
it's makes no difference
it just seems right

so take your outlines
calendars and lists
and burn them in bonfire
of failed plot bunnies and trysts

i'll write as i see fit and
enjoy the results
if someone else likes them, great
if not that's not why i write anyway

This brought us to the final day of the PAD challenge.  It's nice to know that even if I didn't write each one on the day they were posted, I've written thirty different poems in a month.  2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 30 gave us our final prompt.  As is fitting for the end of a poeming event,  the day's prompt was to write a dead end poem.

DEAD END POEM

they said it was easy.
they claimed it would flow
if you just sit  down and write
the words would make themselves known

it didn't work the way they said
it refused to flow as they claimed
i tried to sit down and write
the words refused to reveal themselves

Then suddenly it changed
the words, they came
the poem flowed
even if it wasn't in a poetic form

the words stopped as suddenly as they came
the poem isn't never ending
whether it's good or bad
it hit its own dead end

So there's the last of my PAD poems.  Hope you enjoyed at least one or two out of the thirty I managed to write out.  Was it easy?  I personally don't think any kind of writing is easy, but it was fun.  I wasn't sure I could do the poems daily, but I tried.  I didn't write a poem a day, but I did write thirty poems which would have been a poem a day.  I enjoyed writing them even if they didn't always flow.

How about you?  Did you enjoy one of my poems?  Did you have suggestions for untitled poems?  How about going through the links to read other poets works?  Did you do so, and if so did you find one you liked?  Did you participate?  If so, did you enjoy writing them?  Leave your answers in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment